Just a quick post, telling everyone that a new version of ScriptBot is in the works, version 2.1.
So far, we’ve done the first xplugin -> bundled plugin conversion in ScriptBot’s short history, as well as added some little features that make a big impact, such as NickServ identifying, configurable connection port, configuration for whether to join on invite, and more features are of course on the way, in order to make this one of the biggest releases for ScriptBot (aside from 2.0, the massive rewrite).
I hope to also make ScriptBot available in the Fedora repositories, starting with version 2.1, but I’ll need assistance with packaging (see my earlier post on packaging ScriptBot). If anyone is willing to help, that’d be great. Just come on over to #bots on OKSnet. The current roadblock, as mentioned in the post, is packaging a library we use, written in Java, called PircBot.
You mostly likely know that I’m a proud contributor to the Fedora Project. I helped out a bit on blogs.fedoraproject.org and I generally also keep the wiki clean. However, I haven’t ever made a package.
So my first packaging adventure is packaging the IRC bot library that ScriptBot uses.
One word: pain.
There’s a few nuances with PircBot. It comes as a jar with source inside it as well as the compiled classes. I extracted the source, made it usable for RPM to build. I scrapped the binaries, and put it into a traditional tarball. So apparently that doesn’t work.
Next, I found RPM wasn’t making a buildroot correctly. So I had to make a hack around that.
Then, it came to the install path. There’s a page on the Fedora Project Wiki apparently. But I didn’t know that! It’s not linked from the frequently visited Packaging pages.
After getting it to build, it went through a scratch build on Koji, then I filed for review on Bugzilla.
That’s when I found the page for Fedora’s Java packaging guidelines. I apparently did need documentation (although all I can put is a link, the documentation isn’t really pullable from the website). So I ended marking the bug for my request as CLOSED DEFERRED.
Expect a part two post when I actually get Pircbot into the repos. Also likely is a part three when ScriptBot itself gets in.
See the ScriptBot project page at scriptbot.theoks.net.
Summer is almost here, and summer is an excellent time to work on coding projects.
I have a project that was just kickstarted into actual development.
ScriptBot was originally by AMcBain, and was pushed into our subversion repository, and development started.
If you feel that you could help this project, catch me in #bots.